Continuing my experiment where I only buy comics that have a female artist or writer. This week, I got to talk to one of my writer heroes, Kurt Busiek, and alienate him forever! Ah well. He's a good guy, and a fantastic writer. I really hope he'll be working with more women in the future. It really does seem like some of the most prominent male writers and artists in comics don't understand that they, too, are gatekeepers.
- Power Up #2(Writer: Kate Leth Art: Matt Cummings Cover: Matt Cummings) While I wasn't blown away by #1, I enjoy Leth's work enough to give this a few more issues to grow on me.
- Welcome Back #1(Writer: Christopher Sebela Art: Jonathan Brandon Sawyer Cover: Elsa Charretier) This one is pretty hyped, and I'm excited to try it. I haven't read anything by Sebela and Sawyer before, but if I can find the Charretier cover, I'm gonna pick it up.
- Secret Six #5 (Bombshells Variant Cover)DC Comics: August 19, 2015 Writer: Gail Simone Art: Dale Eaglesham Cover: Emanuela Lupacchino) I know everybody loves Simone's Secret Six--it's not my favorite of her work, oddly enough; still, the new-to-me characters, and the "Bombshells" variant cover won me over.
- Swords Of Sorrow Thoris Adler #3(Writer: Leah Moore Art: Francisco Manna Cover: Jay Anacleto) I say it every week--these are some of the most fun comics out right now. Pulpy goodness.
- Swords Of Sorrow Vampirella Jennifer Blood #4(Writer: Nancy A. Collins Art: Dave Acosta Cover: Billy Tan) See above.
- Island #2(Writer: Brandon Graham Art: Brandon Graham Cover: Emma Rios) This is the comic I'm most excited about at the moment--it feels like a possible shift for the industry. Or at least a fun experiment.
- Rat Queens #11 Writer: Kurtis J. Wiebe Cover: Stjepan Sejic artist:Tamra Bonvillain artist: Tess Fowler You had me at Tess Fowler. This is also one of the most oddly feminist comics being sold today, I think.
- Revival #32(Writer: Tim Seeley Art: Mike Norton Cover: Jenny Frison) Still a solid story with feet planted in the horror genre.Runaways #3(Writer: Noelle Stevenson Art: Sanford Greene Cover: Sanford Greene) Somehow I missed the debut of this! Now I have to catch up!
- Young Terrorists #1 (Writer: Matt Pizzolo Art: Amancay Nahuelpan Cover: Amancay Nahuelpan ) I know nothing about Nahuelpan or Pizzolo, but this sounded interesting.
- B.P.R.D. Hell On Earth #134 #25(Writer: Mike Mignola Art: Julian Totino Tedesco Cover: Laurence Campbell) 134 issues without a woman writer or artist! Some kind of record.
- Astro City #26(Writer: Kurt Busiek Art: Brent Eric Anderson Cover: Alex Ross) I miss this title. I got a few in when Wendy Broome was a guest colorist, but I'm going to leave this one be until there is a regular female artist on it. It's a loss.
- Dr Fate #3(Writer: Paul Levitz Art: Sonny Liew Cover: Sonny Liew) I missed that Liew was doing the art on this one. He's one of the few artists I'll buy on principle, ever since My Faith in Frankie. Sad I'm missing this one.
- Martian Manhunter #3(Writer: Rob Williams Art: Eddy Barrows Cover: Eddy Barrows) I've always loved this character, but haven't loved the last few incarnations--I'd love to give this one a shot, but it will have to wait.
- Mantle #4(Writer: Ed Brisson Art: Brian Level Cover: Brian Level )I loved Brisson's Sheltered, and this one looks so fun and different. Missing out.
- Wolf #2(Writer: Ales Kot Art: Matt Taylor Cover: Matt Taylor) Probably my favorite writer these days; I'll console myself by reading and re-reading The Surface.
- Trees #12(Writer: Warren Ellis Art: Jason Howard Cover: Jason Howard) Similar to my sadness about Kot, I'll console myself with Ellis' Injection.
- Star Wars #8(Writer: Jason Aaron Art: John Cassaday Cover: John Cassada) The series just looks so fun, and I love Aaron and Cassaday. I'm glad they get to sell billions of comics.