"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Why Am I Not Reading East of West?

One of the most interesting things about my experiment of only buying comics with at least one woman creator is that I'm discovering a lot of colorists!  One of the other interesting things is how many of my absolute favorite comics don't have any women working on them. I'm having to give up some of the best comics being created, I think. That's the downside. The upside: Still reading some of the best comics being created, and also discovering different writers and artists (though mostly artists).

The Nope Pile:

  • Rachel Rising: This one hurts, and it seems kinda unfair putting a comic that is created solely by one person in this experiment, but for now I'm doing it.
  • Abe Sapien: Even after the great interaction with Scott Allie I had this week, there are no women working on this fantastic comic, so it stays off of the buy pile. 
  • Astro City: Another painful one. This has consistently been one of the best comics (and has been coming out pretty regularly in its Vertigo run!), and I definitely feel like I'm missing out. 
  • East of West: I have to ask myself, at this point, if this experiment makes sense. East of West is one of those books that should have an even larger following, I think--it's imaginative, beautifully drawn, twists and turns in ways I can never predict. I hope a woman comes on board at some point soon so I can return to reading this one.
  • Star Wars: I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I was enjoying this one, before the experiment started. 
Buy Pile:
  • Cassanova: Acedia -- Cris Peter as colorist
  • Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return -- Whitney Cogar, colorist
  • Coffin Hill -- Caitlin Kittredge, writer
  • Red Sonja -- Gail Simone, writer
  • Star Trek -- Claudia Balboni, art
  • Postal -- Covers by Linda Sejic
  • Shutter -- Leila deLuca, artist
  • Captain Marvel -- Kelly Sue DeConnick, writer
  • Ms. Marvel -- C. Willow Wilson, writer
  • The Surface -- Jordie Belaire, colorist
  • Sheltered -- Shari Chankhamma, colorist
  • Silver Surfer -- Laura Allred, colorist
Buy-if-I-can-find-the-variant-cover:  New category because there are so many this week. Turns out that his could be an expensive experiment if I take it to it's conclusion. Not sure if I'll find/buy these, but I'll ask about them at my LCS:
  • Thor -- Stephanie Hans, alt cover
  • Howard the Duck -- Sara Pichelli variant cover
  • Spider-Gwen -- Sara Pichelli variant cover
  • Cluster -- Jordie Bellaire, colorist on Declan Shalvey's variant cover


No comments: